Mediobogdum Roman Fort
Hardknott Pass, Cumbria
- Built in the early 2nd Century AD during Hadrian’s reign.
- Abandoned briefly and re-occupied in the late 2nd Century.
- Garrisoned by the Fourth Cohort of Dalmatians (500 infantry cohort).
- Fort Walls – the walls undulate up and down with the hilly terrain.
- Headquarter Building – takes center stage in the middle of the fort.
- Commanding Officer’s House – One range of rooms and outer wall of a second survive.
- Granaries – 2 granary buildings.
- Bath House – 3 adjoining rooms (frigidarium, tepidarium and caldarium), and an unusual circular building called the laconicum which was a type of sauna.
- Parade Grounds – Rare survival of the parade grounds are uphill from the fort.