Housesteads Fort, Northumberland
- Possibly an addition to Hadrian’s Wall after the wall was built because Housesteads is attached to the wall and lies to the south, rather than being built astride the wall the way Chesters and Birdoswald are.
- A few house and shop foundations of the vicus (civilian settlement) still remain near the fort’s south gate.
- Latrines (latrinae) located in the southeast corner on the south side of the angle tower.
- Foundations of barracks, granaries (horrea), headquarters (principia) and the commandant’s house (praetorium), as well as walls and gates.
- Hospital (valetudinarium) – inscription RIB 1618 was found on a tombstone at Housesteads: “To the spirits of the departed and to Anicius Ingenuus, Medicus Ordinarius of the First Cohort of Tungrians, who lived twenty-five years”.
- English Heritage and National Trust gift shops, and a coffee bar.