- Possible landing site of the Roman invasion of AD 43, there was a military fortification here until the mid-second century.
- Used as a supply base from AD 45-85.
- A monumental gateway arch was built here in AD 85 and could be seen for miles around. More info and photos of gateway arch.
- Major town grew up around monumental arch.
- Saxon raids on the south coast caused fortifications, including a triple ditch, to be built in AD 250.
- A large Saxon Shore Fort was built in AD 275.
- The site remained in use by Romans into the 5th century.
- Earthwork ditches dating from the invasion of AD 43.
- Remains of a mansio (official hotel) and bath-suite.
- Cross-shaped platform of the monumental gateway arch built in AD 85.
- Remains of 2nd century shops from the town.
- High walls of the Saxon Shore fort built in AD 275.